Transfer Instruments - 3: Dividers
VMS Forum | Library | Start Page | Previous Page| Next Page
WARNING: Machine tools present a safety hazard. Improper operation can result in severe injury. These topics are for non-laboratory study only and are not to be used in conjunction with the operation of any tool or machine described herein. Never use a machine tool without the supervision of a qualified instructor.
Dividers are commonly used for point to point transfer measurement. The sharp points of a divider make it quite easy to set them to lines or features on a work piece or set to a scale and then transfer the set distance. Dividers come in two styles. The wing style is shown on the left and the spring style is shown on the right
In the example on the left a divider is used to transfer (forward or reverse) between a scale and two feature points on a work piece.
The animation on the left shows a forward or reverse transfer of an arc or radius using dividers and a steel rule.
VMS Forum | Library | Start Page | Previous Page| Next Page

label: transfer instruments, inside, outside, spring. calipers, dividers, hermorphidite, telescoping gage, small hole gage, surface gage